Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Work In Progress (Rain)

You walked outside as the rain began to pour, it soaked every inch of you. I called out to you, asking what you were doing. You had no answer, you just insisted I join you. "You need to live!" That's what you said.

I opened the door hesitantly. I wondered what was wrong with you. As I took my first step, the rain washed over me. It soaked my hair and flowed down my body, chilling me instantly.

I took several more steps and met you out there, soaking. You embraced me and said "Can you feel it? Do you feel the magic?"

I stood there, puzzled and silent. After a moment of reflection, a realization came over me. I had stopped obsessing, stopped worrying, stopped caring about the world. I had begun experiencing the sensations of the moment. I was living.

I let the magic soak into me. I thought about each drop, focused on every splash and was exhilarated by every moment. This was living. This, I thought, was why we were here.

Every moment, I realized, held this special secret. It just doesn't overpower you like the rain. So the next time you are anywhere, stop, breathe in and experience the magic of the moment. Discover the secret held by the smell of dust and wisdom floating through a library. Learn the lesson to be taught by the pollution, noise and jubilation of a city street. Solve the enigma present when you feel the warmth coming from a body sleeping next to you.

The magic can be found in everyday moments, during everyday experiences, among everyday, ordinary people. You just have to want to experience it.

So, open yourself up to life...to living.

Find the magic for yourself.

No comments: